treat me like disease, bryce/stag
NELL DOE DALE
 Posted: Apr 8 2015, 12:25 PM

EARTH STUDENT
POKER DEALER/WRITER
MARRIED TO JOSH DALE

WELL, TREAT ME LIKE THE SEA
Nell almost changes her mind.

It’s while she’s getting dressed, pulling her jeans on and calling out to Josh—”Have you seen my lace top, you know, the white one?“—with no answer. She thinks, then, that Bryce can wait, and the world can wait, because she’s so tired, she doesn’t sleep much anymore. She knows that he doesn’t, either.

(and when she wakes up she reaches out a hand and her fingers slide over the comforter, his made-up side of the bed, so her smile falls from her lips and she turns over, buries her face into the pillow, thinks that maybe if she sleeps a little longer she’ll wake up to him.)

But she arrives five minutes early, orders her coffee black and tries not to think about how he orders it the same way. Instead she thinks about Bryce, which isn’t much better.

Mend your husband’s broken family, and she wrinkles up her nose when she remembers. As though she has any interest in weaving together the people who’ve hurt Josh, because Bryce is not any different from his father or grandfather or any of the people in his life who’ve left more scars than she could heal. But she tries, even now while he’s in jail and she’s out here, waiting for his brother to arrive. She can imagine him saying it in her head, heard big brother's gonna be away for a while.

Bryce expects sympathy—he should know better.

She hits the home button on her phone and the lock screen lights up—10:10, he’s late—and just as quickly she clicks the power button to darken it, along with the picture of her husband.

Five minutes, she decides. Five minutes and she will leave, she will go shopping, she will visit a friend, but she will not go home to an unmade bed and no one waiting up for her.

PM
^
BRYCE DANIEL DALE
 Posted: Apr 9 2015, 09:29 PM

fire
unemployed
single

A light sheen of sweat had settled over his brow, though it did nothing to distort his charming lop-sided smile. He pushed open the door, greeted by the jingle of a bell. A few gazes glanced upwards, most were too focused on their coffee. He checked his watch. The minute hand ticked ever so delicately to indicate 10:15. He weaved his way through the tables. His sister-in-law (or the angry little hobbit, as he preferred to think of her) was already seated rather peevishly at a side table. He approached, hands up and palms out in surrender. He even managed a genuinely sheepish smile.

"I'm late, I know. If it helps at all, I was applying for a job." Bryce was, truly, on his absolute best behavior. He dug in his pocket, flicking out a business card.True, the only prospect he had right now was sweeping up a bakery. But it would pay. He pulled out his chair, taking a seat across from her. She had already ordered coffee, clearly uninterested in waiting politely. Then again,she'd made it amply clear that he didn't deserve her manners. He sat up straight, clearing his throat.

It wasn't that she intimidated him. Far from it. Rather, it was the influence she held. He was acutely aware of her position, the way she had usurped and replaced him. A word from her and everything he had done would be useless. So he would play nice. All the doctors and experts would have been proud of him. He folded his hands, managed a nervous half-smile. "I'm sorry for making you wait." The apology felt awkward on his tongue. This feeling, this awkward twiddling of the thumbs, was unusual for him. He'd decided, quite rightly, that he detested it.

PM
^
NELL DOE DALE
 Posted: Apr 10 2015, 06:12 PM

EARTH STUDENT
POKER DEALER/WRITER
MARRIED TO JOSH DALE

Bryce makes his way to her, and she wonders if she's supposed to laugh, maybe make him feel at ease when he lifts his hands up. She does neither, leveling him with a stare. If it helps at all, almost has her rolling her eyes, though. She refrains.

"It doesn't." Her tone is neutral, and she takes the card between her fingers, lifts the cup to her lips. A bakery. She arches an eyebrow but says nothing, sliding it back over to him.

He sits in front of her and she watches, eyes calculating, every movement of his picked apart. This is not the Bryce she'd first met. He's mellow, pleasant even, but it doesn't make much of a difference to her. She's not the Nell he'd first met, either.

Her expression, while not unkind, is not entirely friendly. Anger would be exhausting and useless when he's behaving cordially, so she settles into a casual indifference, gaze dropping to his hands for only an instant before it's back on his face. She hears the conversation of others around them, the sounds of their morning bustle, but all of her attention is on Bryce.

"Well, you're here now," she says, leaning back in her seat. "Hopefully with more than the news of a job application."

She's expectant then. Of what, she doesn't know.

PM
^
BRYCE DANIEL DALE
 Posted: Apr 16 2015, 11:05 AM

fire
unemployed
single

He can't quite put his finger on it, find a reasonable explanation. Whatever the reason, this angry little hobbit scared the shit out of him. He would have liked to pretend she didn't. In fact, he stubbornly refused to acknowledge any such thing. But damn, she was no flower child. If anything, she seemed just as violent and destructive as he was. It was funny, in a sense. His family had replaced him with an equally disastrous option. What Josh could have possibly seen in her, Bryce couldn't say. But now wasn't the time for judgment and analysis. He had to play nice, whether he liked it or not.

"Oh, ah well.." He cleared his throat, searching for news. "I moved into an apartment, other side of town." He added the last detail sort of quietly, a bit of a reassurance for them. He was lazy at heart, and getting all the way to the Dale mansion, well that likely wouldn't happen often. A job. A home. What more was he supposed to do? He leaned back, wishing he had a coffee or something to sip on. Damn he hated this, grovelling before the hobbit.

"I uh.." He cleared his voice, continuing quickly and pushing the words out, as if he could somehow slip them by her, like she wouldn't notice. "I visited Josh the other day."

PM
^
NELL DOE DALE
 Posted: Apr 22 2015, 02:02 AM

EARTH STUDENT
POKER DEALER/WRITER
MARRIED TO JOSH DALE

She'd told him that he needs to impress her in their texts, and she looks at him, sees how antsy he is as he gives her the news. An apartment, and she takes note of the addition that it's on the other side of town. The lines on her face unworried, she leans forward a little.

"Well, that's more than I expected," she says, a note of surprise in her voice. She pauses to drink, and her gaze is pensive when she lowers the cup. "Consider me impressed."

He'd gotten an apartment, which means he's sticking around. She has to get used to that, she supposes.

Then he mentions Josh, and she sits a little straighter. Her husband has been in jail for days now, she's barely seen him or talked to him. Bryce has, though, he'd gone to visit Josh and she's nodding, the smile ironic on her lips.

"He kicks you out of the house and you decide to pay him a visit while he's in jail," she says. "How kind of you." Her face is unreadable when she asks, "What did you say?"

PM
^
BRYCE DANIEL DALE
 Posted: Apr 22 2015, 11:34 AM

fire
unemployed
single

Surprise flickered across Bryce's features. He hadn't actually expected to impress Nell. In his mind, he'd created a rather detailed impression of her. Her contact name, "Angry Hobbit", essentially encapsulated it. He smiled, straightening. A trickle of confidence leaked onto his lips, though it was overshadowed by a hopefullness he didn't bother to hide. "Yeah, it's a shit hole. But it's a place to sleep." His crappy apartment was nothing compared to the mansion he had once called home. The wallpaper was peeling, and the whole place smelled of cat pee. At least Gus liked it, the little rat happily ran about, investigating every new scent.

The confidence that had only just appeared vanished at Nell's question. He shifted his gaze, crossed his arms protectively over his chest for a moment before lowering them into his lap. He would rather have avoided this all together. He should never have mentioned the visit. He couldn't even lie, doubtless Josh would give a more accurate account. Bryce shrugged, not quite meeting her gaze. "Oh, just, uh, brother stuff. Trying to understand each other better." Technically, that was true. He simply omitted the cacophony of swearing, the fury, and his own gloating pleasure.

PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

affiliates

SKINNED EXCLUSIVELY FOR CTTC BY TAYLOR & STARK