New Poll

comedy of errors, an/hugo
JOSHUA DONOVAN DALE
 Posted: Apr 18 2015, 02:11 PM

FIRE
SYNDICATE BOSS
MARRIED TO NELL DALE

TAKE MY HAND OR DON'T YOU TRUST ME?
He doesn't have much faith in magic. He knows its all a trick, all smoke and mirrors, but the crowd around the young man on the street corner gives him pause. What's all this about? They're gasping and laughing as he's finished some sort of trick and Josh frowns, thinks bullshit.

"And you, over there, how about you?"

Josh blinks when he's indicated, gesturing to himself and earning a nod from the magician. It's not his thing, not really, but curiosity gets the better of him and he steps up in the crowd. It feels like a challenge, a way to prove that magic is all illusion and that he can figure out the man's secrets while the rest of the crowd oohs and ahhs.

He's not the only one who's been called into play and he frowns as he recognises the other man. Hugo, he recalls, for the Parkers have as much notoriety as the Dales, and he offers him a nod before turning, expectant, toward the magician. What have you got?

He takes a step back and shakes his head when the magician procures a set of handcuffs from his pocket. After two weeks in jail, he's had enough of them for a lifetime and this is the sort of thing he's not signing up for.

"I'm out," he insists, but it's too late and the cuff closes around his wrist, linking him to Hugo and committing them both to the display.

PM
^
HUGO ADAM PARKER
 Posted: Apr 21 2015, 02:34 PM

WIND
UNI STUDENT/TATTOOIST
SINGLE

He was heading to the UMH gym, planning to get there around half past five — it was when most people seemed to be leaving to get dinner and the like, so he could do as he liked without having to worry about too many people getting in the way and taking up fucking space. Hugo just didn't like having to wait for things, not when he could easily remedy it by going at these off hours — dinnertime or very late at night were his usual gym times. But he was still a few minutes early, so he stopped to pick up a few things, parking his car nearby and walking over to the corner store.

There was a crowd in front of it, and Hugo paused, wondering what the fuck was going on to draw that much attention. He stepped off to the side so that he could see, to find some douchebag waving his arms around and making a spectacle of himself. The crowd erupted into applause (and mixed sounds of disbelief and confusion), and Hugo just frowned. He hadn't actually seen enough of the trick that he could determine yet what all the fuss was about, but the man was asking for volunteers, and despite the various hands that shot up into the air, for some reason he was being called forward.

Well... a simple little street performer's magic trick couldn't possibly take too long, so with only mild reluctance he stepped in, briefly meeting eyes with the other man the magician had called up. He knew him, or at least knew of him — everyone in Maple Hollow knew the Dales, the same way that everyone in Maple Hollow knew the Parkers. But he didn't bother saying hello, just stared with a raised eyebrow at the magician as he told a joke to the crowd that made them all laugh. And then there was a pair of handcuffs being clapped around both their wrists, and Hugo heard Joshua's protest but he didn't think anything of it, figuring it was just any average person's kind of reluctance to be handcuffed to someone else — much like the kind he was feeling right now.

"Fantastic," he huffed, looking at the magician and waiting for him to do whatever he was going to do to end this trick. Hugo just wanted to pick up some fucking drinks before he went to the gym, for fuck's sake. "And here, the only key," the magician was saying, before he popped it into his mouth and "ate" it. It was all some stupid sleight of hand trick, Hugo knew, but sure enough, his own eyes couldn't track where the key had gone either. "As you can see, the cuffs are very solid —" Hugo watched as the man tugged on them to demonstrate his point "— but oh, what's this?" The man tapped the middle, not actually looking, and then looked back up at the crowd, clearly expecting more applause.

Hugo yanked gently on his side of the cuffs to see if they had in fact sprung open or broken somehow like the magician had clearly intended. Nothing happened. "Dude," he said, getting his attention back from the still-waiting crowd. The man looked down at the cuffs, clearly surprised to find them still connecting his increasingly reluctant "volunteers." "Oh! Well, that's, um... that's, uh, nothing wrong at all, that's to be expected! All part of the magic!" The guy rambled, tapping at the cuffs again, seemingly feeling around on them for a trick button or something. But he was getting more and more nervous, and the crowd was starting to lose interest, and Hugo sighed. "You have to be fucking kidding me."

this town is wasted & alone
© wyatt
PM
^
JOSHUA DONOVAN DALE
 Posted: Apr 21 2015, 03:02 PM

FIRE
SYNDICATE BOSS
MARRIED TO NELL DALE

Hugo seems as exasperated with their situation as he is—this, at least, provides some common ground between them. Josh exchanges a glance with his unwilling partner, wanting nothing more than to pick up coffee and return home to his wife and his studying.

Scrutinizing gray eyes track the progress of the key and he catches the sleight of hand but not its location, assuming a trick sleeve or something similar. He huffs in his throat when the cuffs are tugged on, "Yeah, they're very real, we get it—" and is fully prepared to lift a freed hand in aid of the demonstration when he realises there is no free hand, he's stuck.

"All right, cut the crap," Josh snaps, losing what little patience he had left. "Pull out your damn key and unlock them, I've got places to be."

As the crowd starts to disperse, the man procures the key from—damn, I missed itsomewhere, and Josh fully expects this to be the end of the "illusion". But the key doesn't fit the lock and he knows something is wrong by the way the magician's eyes widen and he backs up a step, surprised.

"Oh, well that's not right—they're not supposed to—"

"What did you do?" but he gets no answer and the man is backing up further, pocketing the key, offering an anxious smile.

"Well, it was, ah, nice meeting you, but I've really got to go!"

"Hey—!"

Rage consumes him in a rush of heat when the magician bolts and Josh gets only a few steps in pursuit before the cuff on his wrist catches and reminds him of their plight. He stops, an irritated sigh scraping his throat. "Right. Fuck." He can't go chasing after the offending idiot without dragging Hugo along with him and the guy's got a good head start and no similar handicap. They're screwed and Josh knows it, scowling fierce when he turns back to the other man.

"If I happen to commit a murder, will you be my alibi?"

PM
^
HUGO ADAM PARKER
 Posted: Apr 23 2015, 07:10 PM

WIND
UNI STUDENT/TATTOOIST
SINGLE

All the goddamned street performers in the world, and Hugo had to end up meeting the one who was completely fucking incompetent. He exhaled loudly through his nose, revealing his frustration. The crowd was already starting to disperse, apparently no longer interested now that the show had gotten so fucked up so quickly. Hugo couldn’t blame them. But he didn’t have time to reflect on it, because, evidently trying to save face and move onto the next trick before he embarrassed himself anymore with the cuffs, the guy returned with the key after a moment. But that didn’t work either, didn’t even turn inside the lock, and Hugo could see his increasing anxiety.

Oh, for fuck’s sake. He was starting to lose his patience, or what little of it he had even had in the first place, and he wholeheartedly agreed with Joshua’s anger. But before Hugo could speak up as well to add in his own sarcastic commentary, the guy was making an excuse and then literally bolting, and Hugo made a small noise of protest as Joshua tried to run off after him. Had he been more adequately prepared, he would have helped to chase the son of a bitch, but as it was, Hugo was caught off-guard, and he didn’t know what was happening until the cuffs caught his wrist and Joshua nearly made him fall over. Luckily he didn’t, but unfortunately it let the guy get away.

He glared at the man’s retreating back, wondering if they could potentially still catch up to him, but he didn’t think so. Although they were both taller than him, probably stronger and faster too, he highly doubted they’d be able to catch up when he was so far gone already. “That motherfucking waste of space,” he growled. He wanted to wipe at his face with his hands, frustrated, but of course he couldn’t do that without dragging Joshua’s hand around as well, and he eventually just sighed, grinding his teeth together as he listened to what his companion had to say. It looked like they were pretty definitively stuck now. Fuck it all. Joshua seemed as displeased as Hugo felt, though, so at least he wasn’t stuck with some cheery piece of shit who’d try to become his best friend or something.

The words would have probably been amusing any other time, but Hugo wasn’t in a particularly humorous mood. “Yeah,” was all he said in response, scowling. “I know some good places to bury a body, too. You got some fucking shovels? Maybe a hacksaw?”

© wyatt
PM
^
JOSHUA DONOVAN DALE
 Posted: Apr 27 2015, 01:01 AM

FIRE
SYNDICATE BOSS
MARRIED TO NELL DALE

Joshua rubs at his wrist, scowling. They share a sentiment, at least, and he's glad that Hugo doesn't seem as much of the pretentious little shit he's always assumed him to be. He has little faith in the other influential families in the Hollow, knowing his own.

"Hacksaw would make a good murder weapon, too," he muses, "or I could cut my fucking arm off if all else fails. Goddamnit."

He returns his attention to the cuffs binding them together, examines the lock mechanism, inspects the chain that links them. There's nothing flimsy about them, no concealed buttons or hidden tricks, and an angry scoff scrapes his throat. "Knew it. They're real. What a fucking—"

He stops himself, takes a deep breath. Anger is useless, much as it threatens to swallow him whole. What they need now is a solution.

"Got something I can pick these with? A pin, maybe?" It feels like a long shot—who the fuck carries a pin around?—but it's worth a try. "I don't exactly feel like explaining this to the police."

PM
^
HUGO ADAM PARKER
 Posted: May 4 2015, 08:40 PM

WIND
UNI STUDENT/TATTOOIST
SINGLE

He shrugged. “Usually better when they’re already dead, otherwise they put up too much of a fight and it’s pointless,” he said, not caring to explain that he was obviously not being serious. If it needed explaining, then Hugo was a little concerned about Joshua’s mental state right now. And if that was the case, he’d feel much worse about this whole handcuff situation. He was pretty sure he’d almost prefer not to know. “And you can do whatever you want to your arm, but I’d rather not get blood on these clothes, thanks.” Bloodstains were a bitch, after all.

Without much hope, he watched as Joshua fucked around with the cuffs for a second, before coming to the conclusion that they were, in fact, real. Hugo sighed, rolling his eyes. Of course they were fucking real. Of course that dumbass fucking street magician was carrying around real fucking handcuffs instead of his trick ones. He felt a heated anger starting, deep inside in himself, at the same time as Joshua started talking, apparently equally angry… perhaps more so. He was a Fire elemental, if Hugo recalled correctly. Great, now he was physically attached to a ticking bomb, basically. “What, you can pick a lock?” he asked, eyeing the cuffs sceptically. Maybe Joshua could, though. He supposed that stranger things had happened. “What kind of pin?” He didn’t think he had any pin, either way, but maybe if he got more specifics, he could figure something out. Or maybe they could find someone to help them out. He sighed, frustrated. “Fuck that piece of shit.”

© wyatt
PM
^
JOSHUA DONOVAN DALE
 Posted: May 8 2015, 07:03 AM

FIRE
SYNDICATE BOSS
MARRIED TO NELL DALE

"Plus, it makes one hell of a mess." Hugo seems particularly concerned about such things, judging by his complaint, and Josh scoffs his disapproval. "I'll try not to bleed all over you, then."

He lifts his shoulders, distracted, still fiddling with the cuffs. "I can try."

He figures it's not the best time to mention that he's done it before. Breaking and entering isn't considered much of a societal norm and he's already in handcuffs—next thing he knows, he'll be back behind bars.

"No kidding," he grumbles, then elaborates on his earlier request, "Bobby pin would probably work best. Or a paperclip."

He's organized and always aware of the contents of his pockets and so he knows that to check is fruitless but desperation has him patting them down, finding nothing but his wallet, his phone, a pen, and a pair of headphones for when he needs music on his jogs.

"Well, I've got nothing," he sighs, irate.

Is he going to have to start carrying a paperclip around now, for emergencies? This is ridiculous.

PM
^
HUGO ADAM PARKER
 Posted: May 9 2015, 04:14 PM

WIND
UNI STUDENT/TATTOOIST
SINGLE

His jaw tightened at the scoff that came in his direction. Hugo didn’t have time for pieces of shit who didn’t understand sarcasm; he should have been in his car and driving away, off to the gym, already. But instead he was handcuffed to some asshole who was trying to get fucking smart with him now. Wonderful. This was certainly not his ideal way to spend his evening. And he knew he should have let the comment go, but instead he said, sarcastic as ever, “Thanks for your concern, I’d appreciate that.”

He wished he’d never stopped for that fucking bogus magician and his stupid fucking tricks. Worst of all was the fact that the crowd had even dispersed; any of those people could have very well been able to help them out, but no. They were stuck on their own. “Right.” He sighed. He knew for a fact he didn’t have either of those — a pen, a pencil, a Sharpie, his wallet and keys, those were the contents of his pockets. And perhaps his schoolwork might have had a paperclip attached to it, but of course for once in his life he’d left it all at home, intending on just heading to the gym and back home — so his car was no fucking good, either.

“Right, well,” he started again, not bothering to elaborate on the fact that he had nothing; Joshua was smart enough to figure it out, “maybe someplace around here sells them. Office supplies store with paperclips or something.” Except there was no place around here that seemed to sell office supplies, he knew. Fuck. As for bobby pins, well, Hugo wasn’t even entirely sure where they’d get those. He’d never exactly had any use for them before.

© wyatt
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

affiliates

SKINNED EXCLUSIVELY FOR CTTC BY TAYLOR & STARK